WOMCOM Open Call for Artist-in-Residence Programmes
Apply for the first two artistic residencies of Women Power in Comics (WOMCOM)
Deadline: 31 May 2023
Are you making comics, zines, manga, or illustrations?
Do you see comics as a medium to share personal and collective experiences related to gender issues and address women’s empowerment? Are you dissatisfied with the way women are portrayed in mainstream comics and products of pop culture, specifically in South-Eastern Europe? Would you contribute to changing that image? Would you use comics to challenge patriarchy, gender inequalities and other related forms of social inequality? Would you like to travel and meet like-minded artists?
WOMCOM invites you to participate in its first two artistic residencies held in 2023: the first in Novi Sad, Serbia, and the second in Zánka and Budapest, Hungary. The WOMCOM artist-in-residence programmes have been designed as inclusive co-working spaces, offering artists the chance to collaborate with other creatives, engage in discussions on cultural perspectives related to gender, and evolve their artistic practice.
Apply here and you may be creating for two weeks short comics, under the guidance of acknowledged comic artists and curators from Europe within a creative regional network. After the conclusion of your residency, your produced works will be exhibited in various exhibitions and comics festivals.
Find more details about each residency here.
Are you interested in WOMCOM residencies? You can apply if
- You create comics, manga, web comics, zines, illustrations, graphic design or other related works.
- You are over eighteen (18) by the start of the chosen residency programme – or by the start of the first residency programme if you have chosen to apply for more.
- You are a national of the following countries: Croatia, Greece, Hungary, Montenegro, Serbia, Slovenia or you are an EU national living in the listed countries.
- You are comfortable cooperating with others in English.
As a resident, you will be expected to:
- work on the comics project of your proposal
- create a minimum of 5, and a maximum of 9 pages of comics that will be exhibited
- exhibit the work you created during the two weeks of the residency
- send your work to the printed anthology and to the online repository
Some useful information for you:
- An applicant can apply to multiple residencies with a separate letter of motivation.
- You can apply for a residency organised by the country of which you are a national or resident. That is, Croatians are welcome to apply for the Zagreb residency, etc.
- Should you be selected, you will get notified about the result of the application by 20 June 2023 (midnight).
To apply, fill out the application form below. For this process, it would be good that you prepare in advance the following:
- 3-10 samples of your work (images) OR a link to your website OR social media account(s).
- A short bio (max. 1500 characters).
- A motivation letter. Write about your artistic aims and how this project can help you. If you are applying for both residencies, please provide separate letters for each (max. 1500 characters each).
The application form: https://form.typeform.com/to/dVPI1t7g
Women Power in Comics (WOMCOM) is a collaborative initiative involving organisations in six Balkan countries: Students’ Cultural Center Novi Sad in Novi Sad, Serbia, as lead partner; Bakelit Multi Art Center in Budapest, Hungary; Kino Šiška in Ljubljana, Slovenia; PostScriptum in Athens, Greece; Autonomous Cultural Center Attack in Zagreb, Croatia, along with the Association for Comic Affirmation in Budva, Montenegro, as an associate partner. This two-year programme (2023-2024) aims to foster collaboration and engagement among comic artists with the goal of investigating and addressing gender issues in comics as well as empowering female comic artists through residencies, exhibitions, and conferences.
Women Power in Comics is co-funded by the Creative Europe Programme of the European Commission.